Spiced Plaice Goujons with Sautéed Potatoes & Salad Barbecued Mackerel with Ginger, Chilli & Lime Drizzle
- 10 x 140g fresh mackerel fillets (pin-boned and trimmed)
- 100ml olive oil
- 300g carrots (washed, peeled and thinly sliced)
- 300g shallots (washed, peeled and thinly sliced)
- 100g celery (washed, peeled and thinly sliced)
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 4 star anise
- 3g fennel seeds
- 3g coriander seeds (lightly crushed)
- 500 mls white wine
- 500mls orange juice
- 1 litre white chicken stock
- Maldon sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Using a heavy based wide shallow saucepan heat the olive oil and add the carrots and sweat for 5 minutes on a medium heat.
- Once the carrots have softened add the shallots, celery, thyme, bay leaves, peppercorns, star anise, fennel and coriander seeds and sweat for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour in the white wine and reduce by half. Once reduced add the orange juice and chicken stock. Cook on a low heat slowly for 10 minutes until the carrots and veg are tender.
- Once the liquor is ready and the vegetables are tender correct the seasoning with the salt and pepper and place the mackerel fillets skin side up on top of the vegetables ensuring the fillets are covered, then remove from heat.
- Cover the pan with cling film and set aside for the mackerel fillets to finish cooking in the residual heat (approx 5 mins).
- Remove the cling film and serve with a side salad.