Mackerel Escabeche Baked Ling with Tomatoes, Thyme & Olives
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 small whole mackerel, gutted and cleaned
For the Drizzle
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp honey
- finely grated zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Thai fish sauce
- Light the BBQ and allow the flames to die down until the ashes have gone white with heat. Make the drizzle by whisking 2 tbsp olive oil and all the other ingredients together in a small bowl, adjusting the ration of honey and lime to make a sharp sweetness. Season to taste.
- Score each side of the mackerel about 6 times, not quite through to the bone. Brush the fish with the remaining oil and season lightly. BBQ the mackerel for 5-6 mins on each side until the fish is charred and the eyes have turned white. Spoon the drizzle over the fish and allow to stand for 2-3 mins before serving.