Apprentice Hatchery Technician/Fishmonger
Working in our new hatchery in Amble, this is a full time apprenticeship opportunity meeting the minimum wage with 20 days paid annual leave, plus 8 Bank holiday days per year (pro rata).
The Organisation: The Northumberland Seafood Centre and Hatchery is located by the harbour in Amble. The organisation aims to promote sustainability issues in coastal fisheries through programmes of stock enhancement, research and education; supported by income generated through its visitor centre, sales of seafood, corporate sponsorship, grants and donations.
Working days and hours: 5 days a week. Hours will vary according to opening hours, but are typically 10 am until 4 pm. The visitor centre is busiest during school holiday periods, consequently, taking annual leave at these busy times may not be possible.
Aim of the job: To help run hatchery operations on a day to day basis and further develop the production of juvenile lobsters for the organisations stocking programme. Furthermore to provide a fishmonger service within the centre.
- To assist and support the centre manager with the day to day operation of the hatchery
- To ensure that all life support systems and hatchery equipment is maintained in a clean and functional state.
- To maintain and develop the hatcheries marine recirculating aquaculture systems
- To follow to the letter all standard operating procedures as laid out in the operations manual
- Care of brood-stock, larvae and juveniles on a daily basis
- Ensure that hatchery consumables are kept in stock
- To collect and record data on the daily operations within the hatchery
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of technology and developments, relevant to the organisation’s objectives
- Gut fillet and prepare fish to customer specifications
- Handle and prepare live shellfish to customer specifications
- To maintain a positive happy welcome for all visitors.
- To assist with the day to day operation of the hatchery
- To interact with visiting members of the public and explain the mission and work of the organisation.
- To operate equipment including tills and PDQ machine.
Required Personal skills and qualifications:
• An interest in animal husbandry
• Excellent communication and organisation skills
• Accuracy and attention to detail
- Interest in developing good customer service skills
• DIY /practical skills
• An understanding of fisheries sustainability issues
To Apply: Please request an application form and return with a covering letter outlining why you feel you are suitable for the role and what you can bring to the organisation.
Contact: email@example.com or telephone 01665 713580/712929
Closing date for applications 17th March 2017.